Adventure Bay was first sighted by Abel Tasman in 1642. Captain Tobias Furneaux following Tasman’s charts took shelter here in 1773 naming the bay after his vessel "The Adventure". Captain James Cook landed in Adventure Bay in 1777 and Captain William Bligh visited in 1778, 1792 and 1808. William Bligh planted Tasmania’s first apple tree in Adventure Bay in 1778. Once the site of many whaling stations and timber mills, Adventure Bay is now a quiet haven for fishermen and holiday makers, although Forestry continues in Adventure Bay.